When you hear healthy country, America would not even be on your top 10 list, let alone the top 5. But it does not mean there are no healthy cities that exist.
Fitbit and the American College of Sports Medicine recently gave out a list of the healthiest cities in America. There are several factors that were taken into account when the cities were ranked, such as each area’s percent of people who do the government-recommended amount of aerobic activity, smoking rates, and the obesity rates.
Here are the top 20 fittest metropolitan areas in the United States, in order, ranked by the American College of Sports Medicine:
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-MD-WV
- San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA
- Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
- Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH
- Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO
- Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA
- Salt Lake City, UT
- San Diego-Carlsbad, CA
- Sacramento-Roseville-Arden-Arcade, CA
- Austin-Round Rock, TX
- Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT
- Raleigh, NC
- Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA
- New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
- Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD
Read more here.